Written by Administrator 3 Sunday, 14 September 2008 15: 26 - Last Updated Wed, 15 December 2010 goal: 59
In the early 16th century, Portuguese traders have been sailing for the Far East searching for spices. They came across a small uninhabited island where they could replace fresh water items, which they then named this " Pulo PinaomвЂќ.
The island was area of the Kedah Sultanate. Its strategic location on the northern entrance to the Straits of Malacca has made this a natural harbour during the monsoon months pertaining to Arabian, Chinese, European and Indian delivers. Inevitably, it probably is a hunting ground to get pirates.
Since the 17th century, Kedah had been sending " Bunga EmasвЂќ (Gold Flowers) to Siam (Thailand) while an acknowledgement of the Siam King's sovereignty. In the eighteenth century, the spice and opium control between the East and Western had become extremely lucrative. The Dutch completely outclassed the Far East liven trade and the British also needed to create themselves in the region. Thus, in 1765 Francis Light was instructed by his Firm, Jourdain Sullivan and para Souza to ascertain better transact relations in this part of the globe.
In 1771, the Sultan of Kedah offered Chief Francis Mild the island of Penang in substitution for protection from the Siamese and Burmese soldires who were frequently threatening Kedah. This treaty never materialised as Francis Light's managers refused to supply any help.
Captain Francis Light remaining Kedah intended for Junk Ceylon (Phuket, a great island away southern Thailand) in 1772 to setup control activities with India, the southern area of Siam and northern Malay Peninsula. During those times, the English were mixed up in Napolean conflict in The european union. Light was asked by the East India Company based in Madras to have Pulau Pinang to setup a base to repair United kingdom navy delivers and as a trading post for trade between Cina, India plus the archipelago.
In 1786, Francis Light served as middleman in securing Penang via Sultan Abdullah of Kedah in return for a promise of British protection from his enemies. The Sultan of Kedah was not which Light acquired acted without the approval of his superiors when making the promosi.
History of Penang
Written by Supervisor III Sunday, 14 Sept 2008 12-15: 26 - Last Up to date Wednesday, 15 December 2010 03: 59
Light ended up in that part of Penang now known as the Esplanade on Come july 1st 17, 1786 with a select few of people and nautico staff. Upon August 11, 1786, the Union Jack port was hoisted as Captain Francis Light, known as owner of Penang officially required possession of the island for the Crown. The island was known as " The Prince of Wales IslandвЂќ as the acquisition time fell within the prince's birthday. The arrangement in the East Cape with the island was called Georgetown named after the King of England, George III.
In 1790, Sultan Abdullah formed an army to reduce the Dutch and The english language after the Business had failed to provide armed forces protection when ever Kedah was attacked by Siam. He assembled his men by Seberang Prai (Province Wellesley) to retake Penang Island but was conquered by Chief Francis Light who had accomplished night raids on the enemy's fortress. The next year, Sultan Abdullah authorized a treaty with the Uk, officially handing over Penang Island towards the British. Included in the treaty, the Sultan of Kedah is paid 6th, 000 Spanish dollars every year. Captain Francis Light was appointed Superintendent of Knight in shining armor of Wales Island.
The first arrangement in Penang was at the current Esplanade location which was a swampy, wechselfieber infected location at that time. Fort Cornwallis, the island's key defense was located exact same area. In order to expedite eradicating of thick undergrowth around that internet site, Light packed the ship's cannons with silver us dollars and dismissed it profound into the new world. The township was named George Town after California king George 3 of Britain. Several original streets of George Town were Beach Road, Light Streets, Pitt Streets (now Masjid Kapitan Keling Street) and...